Zoning Board Members
Zoning Board members are appointed, volunteer officials who serve on a board that hears appeals on zoning and land-use matters.
APA Membership for Zoning Boards
Board members of Zoning Boards of Adjustment or Zoning Boards of Appeal (ZBA) may join APA at a special discounted rate and receive special publications and services. They become part of a national network of officials, planners, advocates, and students that is working to make great communities. Join APA as a planning board member.
Keep current with zoning practice, board management, and legal issues covered in this quarterly publication designed especially for planning officials. APA planning commissioner and ZBA members receive The Commissioner as part of their basic membership package.
Book Store Resources
APAPlanningBooks.com is the source for the most relevant and recent information for zoning board members.
- The Board of Adjustment: This is the manual for every ZBA member. Compatibility, ethics, hearings, record keeping, variances, appeals.
- CD-ROM Training: Programs cover the legal framework for planning, ethics for board members, planning law and much more.
This subscription publication covers all aspects of zoning. There is no better way to stay current with new approaches and changing standards to one of the key tools of planning.
Join the more than 30,000 officials and their staffs who have attended these informative, timely, and convenient programs. Accessible by phone and enhanced by a web component, these programs cover a wide range of topics for officials and practicing planners.
Every annual conference contains a special track of sessions and workshops for planning commissioners and officials.
Browse a listing of upcoming conferences, conventions, workshops, and courses.
Ethical decision making is critical to good governance. Zoning board members should refer to the Ethical Principles of Planning, voluntary but extremely helpful guidelines for commissioners faced with complex decisions that involve competing concerns.
- Certified planners with whom board members work are bound by the AICP Code of Ethics.
- Many states have ethics codes
- Planning Ethics for Planning Commissioners, also relevant to zoning board members, is CD-ROM training available through a search on APAPlanningBooks.com.
- Planning Made Easy, also searchable on APAPlanningBooks.com is a training manual that discusses the importance of ethical decisions in planning.