The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission
Upper Marlboro, MD
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Planning Methods|
|Job Level||Senior (8-10 years)|
|Salary Range||$47,535.00 - $81,342.00 Annually|
THE MARYLAND-NATIONAL CAPITAL PARK & PLANNING COMMISSION invites applications for the position of:
Senior Planner (14200, Grade H)
The Prince George's County Planning Department of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission is seeking an experienced Senior Planner to become part of our award winning strategic planning and implementation team.
The Senior Planner will play an important role in developing implementation plans and strategies to advance transit-oriented development (TOD) at several existing Metro stations. Prince George's County has made TOD one, of its highest priorities and is actively pursuing innovative projects, programs, and partnerships to achieve sustainable, mixed-use, walkable and bikeable communities within proximity of our nation's capital.
The Senior Planner will be engaged in one or more planning projects that will involve a variety of challenging assignments. The Senior Planner will be working with professional teams, county, state and federal agencies, community groups, and stakeholders to achieve the county's TOD, economic development, primary healthcare, and housing visions and goals. The Senior Planner will also be assisting with active and ongoing community engagement in support of TOD implementation and Prince George's County's Primary Healthcare Initiative.
EXAMPLES OF IMPORTANT DUTIES:
• Experience and skills in strategic planning, economic development, project management and implementation, and community engagement.
• The ability to assist in the preparation of plans, area studies, and implementation strategies/plans. May be responsible for the research and development of various sections of the implementation strategies/plans and studies.
• Conducts research and analysis necessary to. develop and support implementation and economic development strategies, plans, and goals.
• Conducts studies and need assessments for the development of programs to address significant development opportunities.
• Reviews' and prepares reports on various site plans, subdivision, and zoning applications to determine compliance with approved implementation, strategies/plans with limited supervision.
• Assists in the implementation of the County's General Plan, zoning regulations, subdivision regulations, land use and development ordinances.
• Presentation to Boards, Commissions, County Council, Departments, task forces and community stakeholders may be required.
• Experience with GIS and PC based planning programs.
Master's degree in planning, architecture, parks, engineering, environmental science, or equivalent disciplines related to job function and one year of progressively responsible professional level planning experience; OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Note: Applicants called for an interview should bring writing samples.
Working knowledge of strategic planning and implementation, community planning and zoning principles and practices is a must; ability to work in both team and independent situations; and excellent organizational, interpersonal, presentation, and written communication skills.
Required Skill In:
• Reading, interpreting and explaining laws and regulations as they pertain to the development of plans, studies, and reports.
• Collecting, tabulating, organizing, evaluating, analyzing, and presenting data and information.
• Interpreting legal records, technical documents, and map specifications.
• Interpreting and applying department standards and county policies.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative working relationships with employees, officials, other community development agencies, and the general public.
• Assessing and prioritizing multiple tasks, projects, and demands.
• Operating a personal computer utilizing a variety of business software.
• Effective communication, both verbal and written.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
• Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment and involves sitting, standing, walking, and bending for extended periods of time. On occasion field work is required. Must be able to safely lift and carry equipment and materials up to thirty (30) pounds.
• Must be able to work evenings as required for meetings.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
OPENING DATE: 07/31/13
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
DESCRIPTION: This is a re-announcement. Previous pplicants need not re-apply.
|Postal Address||6611 Kenilworth Avenue
Riverdale, MD 20737