Senior Transportation Planner
Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Transportation Planning|
|Job Level||Mid II (4-8 years)|
|Salary Range||$55,000 - 65,000|
The Toledo Metropolitan Area Council of Governments (TMACOG) is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a senior level position within the Transportation Department. This is a professional position responsible for facilitating and working with local, state, and federal government agencies; community organizations; regional business interests; and the general public to develop regional transportation plans.
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
1. Develops regional long range transportation plan including its policies, initiatives, and priorities.
2. Develops procedures for the implementation, administration, and evaluation of plans or programs, and measures progress.
3. Analyzes information related to transportation, such as land use policies, environmental justice, or long range planning needs. The candidate must be able to draw meaningful conclusions from statistical relationships
4. Designs methodologies for collection, development, and presentation of planning related information in a concise and understandable manner to public stakeholders.
5. Recommends transportation system improvements or projects, based on economic, population, land-use or traffic projections.
6. Prepares and makes presentations on controversial or complex topics to key public officials, public groups, agencies, boards, and other groups
7. Facilitates meetings and workshops.
8. Provides outreach to advance regional cooperation and monitoring.
9. Identifies, defines, and researches issues of strategic importance.
10. Oversight of the TMACOG Public Involvement Process.
11. Supports the following programmatic subcommittees of Transportation Council:
a. Transportation Planning Committee
b. Public Transit and Passenger Rail Committee
12. Participates in technical, policy, and interagency planning meetings.
13. Prepares elements of the unified planning work program with the input of regional stakeholders.
14. Prepares administrative reports, work programs, and responses to requests for specific project or program information.
Minimum requirements include:
1. Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of urban and regional transportation planning.
2. Demonstrated history of developing and maintaining positive, service-focused relationships in the community and the ability to communicate tactfully and effectively with associates, public officials, and members of the general public. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.
3. Thorough knowledge of federal and state transportation related laws, programs, policies, and guidelines.
4. Direct experience with state, county, city, township, or village governments. An understanding of the social and economic conditions within NW Ohio and SE Michigan is desired.
5. Strong organizational, problem solving, and negotiation skills with an ability to prioritize and manage multiple programs, projects and tasks to meet varying deadlines.
6. Ability to use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
7. Ability to work either independently or with a team on multiple projects.
8. Computer skills including file management, e-mail, word processing, and spreadsheets are required. Neat and accurate work habits and attention to detail are essential.
Candidates shall have a Bachelor's degree in Urban and Regional Planning or Transportation Planning, plus five years of planning experience. Master’s Degree is preferred. AICP Certificate is desirable. Successful candidate must be able to demonstrate outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to involve all transportation stakeholders in the plan development process.
Preference may be given to applicants with prior transportation plan development and writing experience with a metropolitan planning organization. Applicants must be legally able to work in the U.S., possess a valid current driver’s license, have a good driving record, and proper insurance. Successful completion of a comprehensive background check and drug screening are required to complete the hiring process.
Salary range $55,000 - $65,000 DOQ.
Interested candidates should forward a letter of interest, resume, and professional references by September 20, 2013 to TMACOG, P.O. Box 9508, Toledo, OH 43697-9508 or email@example.com. No phone calls.
P.O. Box 9508
Toledo, OH 43697-9508