City of Riverside
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Urban Design|
|Job Level||Mid II (4-8 years)|
THE CITY OF RIVERSIDE
City of Arts & Innovation
$6,665-$8,932/month + Excellent Benefits
Applications will be accepted
until 11:59pm on Sunday, September 22, 2013
Appointments may be made within the range
contingent upon qualifications of successful candidate.
There is currently one (1) vacancy in the Planning Division of the Community Development Department. This recruitment will be used to fill the current vacancy and will establish an eligibility list to fill future vacancies in this classification. Under general direction, to plan, organize, supervise and review the work of professional, technical, and clerical subordinates engaged in current or advanced planning; to assist in the general administration of the planning function; and to do related work as required.
Typical duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and implement work, objectives, policies, and procedures.
• Plan, lay out, direct, coordinate, and review the work of professional and technical employees in data collection, analyses, plan formulation, and implementation of a wide variety of planning and zoning activities.
• Supervise, direct, and coordinate such ongoing programs as General Plan administration, current planning, design review, zoning administration, community planning, environmental planning, and annexations.
• Perform the most complex and sensitive planning work.
• Coordinate and perform the staff support work for one or more boards or commissions; research and prepare reports; conduct public information meetings and hearings.
• Represent the Community Development Department at public meetings and present planning and zoning matters to the City Council, various City boards, commissions, and citizen committees.
• Coordinate planning activities with other City departments, divisions, and with outside agencies.
• Meet with and advise developers regarding development applications and processes.
• Apply for and administer various federal and state planning grant programs; prepare annual reports; develop requests for proposals; supervise outside consultants.
• Assist in budget preparation and administration.
• Supervise, train and evaluate professional, para-professional, technical, and clerical staff.
• Education: Equivalent to Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in planning or a related field considered useful in City planning. A Master's degree in planning or a related field is highly desirable.
• Experience: Five years of professional experience in the field of urban planning, including two years in a supervisory capacity. A Master's degree may substitute for one year of the required experience.
• Possession of an American Institute of Certified Planner (AICP) certification is highly desirable.
• Along with your application please list three (3) professional references and provide a staff report or published paper that you have written not to exceed ten (10) pages in length.
Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be placed on an eligibility list which will remain in effect for six (6) months. Candidates will be screened further, and those meeting additional highly desirable qualifications may be invited to compete in a written, performance and/or oral exam. Highly qualified candidates will be certified for a selection interview. The final candidate will be required to successfully pass a criminal background check, verification of work experience, and submit an official copy of educational transcripts verifying obtained degrees or certificates as indicated on the employment application. The appointed candidate will be required to successfully pass a medical examination and drug test.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, September 22, 2013.
The City of Riverside does not reimburse candidates for any expenses incurred as a result of this recruitment.
For a complete job description and to fill out a required on-line application,
An Equal Opportunity Employer