City of Parkersburg
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Community Development and Redevelopment|
|Job Level||Mid I (1-4 years)|
This position helps to promote the best use of a community's land resources for residential, commercial, institutional and recreational purposes. The Planning Administrator will help the City address environmental, economic and social health issues of a community as it grows and changes. The Planning Administrator provides staff support to the Municipal Planning Commission. Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Review major and minor subdivisions to enforce State & local laws and regulations for zoning and planning.
• Process and review rezoning requests; prepare and process annexation applications; review, amend and write new Planning and Zoning Ordinances.
• Review & process rights-of-way dedications and abandonments.
• Update the City's Comprehensive Master Plan.
• Responsible for all files of the Municipal Planning Commission.
• Provide staff support to the Parkersburg Tree Commission. Includes taking tree complaints &d questions and routing these to the proper department for action; update the computer inventory of all trees on the City's rights-of-way and in the City’s Parks; prepare and manage grants for tree planting, tree maintenance and other related projects.
• Act as the City's liaison with the W.V. State Forestry Division, Allegheny Power, Urban Foresters and other groups as they relate to tree maintenance and planting.
• Provide staff support for the Parkersburg Bike Advisory Board. Includes planning, mapping and marking city-wide bike routes and helping to plan and organize events such as Park Day and Bike to Work Day.
• Assist with the City's Brownfields program by writing grants and required reports, and attending conferences and workshops.
• Member of the steering committee for the On Trac Program which is an effort to revitalize Downtown Parkersburg. Helps to plan and organize the program committees and the events sponsored by the Downtown Development Task Force, and is the program’s liaison with the WV Development Office.
• Program and manage the Downtown Farmers Market - planning events, scheduling music & cooking demonstrations, supervising interns, publishing a weekly newsletter during the season and recruiting and managing vendors.
• Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS: Bachelor's Degree in planning, community or economic development, or closely related field. 2 years experience preferred.
Excellent computer skills and verbal and written communication skills. Ability to work independently. Ability to develop effective working relationships with City staff and local agency representatives. Skill in analyzing problems, identifying solutions, and implementing recommendations. Have initiative and be resourceful. Possession of a valid driver’s license. Some travel required.
|Postal Address||Personnel Director
City of Parkersburg
PO BOx 1627
Parkersburg WV 26102