City of Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, OK
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Community Development and Redevelopment|
|Job Level||Mid II (4-8 years)|
|Salary Range||$58,046.40 - $88,823.52 Annually|
Job Summary and Essential Functions
This job is located in the Urban Redevelopment Division of the Planning Department with the City of Oklahoma City and is under the direction of an immediate supervisor. Planner III is a professional classification requiring well developed skills in research; verbal and written communication; project design; and knowledge of and skill in applying procedures, objectives, and variables related to city planning. This position will be primarily responsible for conducting urban planning activities addressing the downtown area and will also be responsible for preparing area plans including a downtown Master Plan and sub-district plans and overseeing plan implementation. Essential job functions include: supervising the comprehensive planning activities of assigned staff, including project design; data acquisition; data compilation, analysis, and summarization; and the presentation of facts in both verbal and written form. Planner III’s may make policy recommendations based both on the analysis of current trends and hypotheses of future circumstances. Specialization occurs in the areas of transportation planning (involving the projection and development of efficient transportation systems) and economic planning (involving the assessment of probable economic and social ramifications of public expenditures or variable deletions, modifications, or additions to the area’s economic base). Planner III’s in both disciplines are responsible for writing or presenting formal and technical reports, working papers, project budgets, contracts, and other correspondence. Reports, conclusions, and recommendations may become or be used to establish official City policies or ordinances.
• Knowledge of principles of city planning.
• Knowledge of and skill in determining appropriate research designs, including methodologies, indicators, and data presentation.
• Knowledge of and skill in identifying and assessing social, economic, demographic, and related trends that affect planning processes.
• Skill in organizing research data.
• Skill in assessing the overall impact of proposed site plans on land use and area development.
• Skill in the accurate interpretation and analysis of research data.
• Skill in compiling and writing technical reports.
• Skill in supervising subordinate staff.
• Skill in examining and analyzing a wide array of public variables and concerns.
• Skill in relating to people from various professional fields and diverse socio-economic backgrounds.
• Skill in verbal communication of acquired data, analyses, and recommendations.
• Skill in the critical review of substantive work products.
• Skill in devising solutions to community needs.
• Skill in determining and examining policy alternatives.
• Skill in establishing realistic priorities to make effective use of resources.
• Ability to conduct wide-scope studies within limited time frames.
• Master’s degree in City/Urban Planning, Urban Design, Architecture or related field.
• Five or more years’ experience in urban planning, urban design and plan development and implementation.
• Experience preparing urban plans and strategies related to redevelopment, downtown districts, economic/business development, housing, land use, arts and culture, design of public and private space, and transit oriented development.
• Demonstrated experience in project management associated with planning-related projects.
• Demonstrated experience managing public engagement processes.
• Demonstrated experience in public speaking and making presentations to citizen groups and elected officials.
For full details related to this position and to apply, go to the City of Oklahoma City website at www.okc.gov/jobs
Job Title: PLANNER III
Opening Date/Time: 2013-09-25 00:00:00.0
Closing Date/Time: 2013-10-24 23:59:00.0
Salary: $58,046.40 - $88,823.52 Annually
Job Type: Full Time
Location: 420 West Main Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma