Assistant / Associate Planner
Southwestern Wis Regional Planning Commission
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Level||Mid I (1-4 years)|
Southwestern Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission (SWWRPC) seeks a qualified candidate to assist our staff of six meet a wide range of planning goals. As a local government unit, SWWRPC serves the five counties of Southwestern Wisconsin (Grant, Green, Iowa, Lafayette, and Richland) in land use, transportation and economic development planning. The Associate Planner reports to the Planning Manager and the Economic Development Manager.
Because we are a small staff, the ideal candidate will enjoy being a generalist and be able to work on a wide-range of planning projects, including, but not limited to, sustainability planning; Safe Routes to School planning; economic analysis and market development planning; farmland preservation planning; local food planning; flood mitigation planning; and hazard mitigation planning.
While this is primarily a planning position, the ideal candidate will also possess high-level GIS skills and spend up to 20% of his or her time maintaining our geospatial database as well as developing maps and analysis for a variety of projects. The ability to develop and maintain online mapping applications is a plus.
This position offers an excellent opportunity for the individual who enjoys a diverse work load, a flexible schedule, and the opportunity to make a difference in a growing and changing rural region. We will strive to work with the qualified candidate to further develop and encourage use of the candidate’s personal interests and talents.
• Master’s degree in Urban and Regional Planning or closely-related field;
• Minimum of 3-years of relevant professional experience (may include part-time work and internships);
• Flexible schedule, ability to attend night meetings, ability to work longer hours certain weeks to meet deadlines;
• Ability to comfortably lead meetings with local government officials and community organizations;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfortable communicating with a wide range of audiences from diverse backgrounds;
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to retrieve, organize, and analyze data;
• Strong work ethic, self-motivated, ability to work on several projects at once, ability to work independently.
• GIS Certification from an accredited program;
• High level of proficiency in ArcGIS 10.x; experience with GIS modeling programs used in Planning;
• Experience with ESRI Business Analyst, Reference USA, and other GIS extensions;
• Experience with online mapping/web development;
• Familiarity with economic development, transportation and sustainability tools and principles;
• Familiarity with Southwestern Wisconsin or similar rural region;
• Experience with Adobe programs (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), html, WordPress, SPSS, and Google Apps a plus.
The qualified candidate must be willing to relocate to one of our five member counties for this position. A small relocation stipend is available. The qualified candidate will work from our offices in Platteville Wisconsin.
AVAILABILITY: This full-time position will start January 6th, 2014.
COMPENSATION: SWWRPC offers a competitive salary and benefits package.
Those interested should submit an electronic cover letter, resume, three professional references and a completed SWWRPC Application (available at http://www.swwrpc.org/employment) to email@example.com . Only electronic applications will be reviewed. Applications are due at 4:00 pm on November 12th, 2014.
Please be sure to clearly indicate which position you wish to apply for in the subject line of your email submission.
SWWRPC is fully committed to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
|Contact Name||Troy Maggied|