Urban Design Program Planner
City of Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City, OK
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Urban Design|
|Job Level||Senior (8-10 years)|
|Salary Range||$61,011.36 - $93,208.32 Annually|
JOB SUMMARY AND ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
This position is located in the Comprehensive Planning and Urban Design Division of the Planning Department with the City of Oklahoma City. The duties performed require utilizing previously acquired technical knowledge and skill. The employee must have knowledge of administrative and management principles and possess the ability to coordinate and evaluate the operational and technical functions of the assigned programs and projects. This position manages the Urban Design section, provides support to the comprehensive planning function, and leads special projects related to work performed in the Division. It also supervises multiple staff and projects primarily related to comprehensive planning and urban design. Essential job functions include: planning and organizing special projects; serving as a community and inter-departmental liaison; writing complex and technical reports, policy alternatives and/or recommendations for consideration and dissemination to various boards, commissions, committees, City Council and citizen groups; and determining research design, methodologies, procedures and indicators to be used in the collection and analysis of data. This position coordinates one or more federally funded programs and may be required to coordinate and manage the efforts of professional, technical and clerical personnel organized in project work groups and inter-departmental/agency tasks forces. The employee represents the City officially and unofficially on a number of boards, committees, commissions, task forces and citizen groups to provide analytical, technical and advisory input.
A five-point preference will be awarded on the initial scored selection process for honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces not currently employed full time by the City of Oklahoma City. Qualified applicants must submit a copy of their DD Form 214 indicating discharge type/character of service at time of application.
• Knowledge of City Planning and community development.
• Knowledge of administrative and management principles.
• Skill in coordinating planning functions for long range and/or current requirements.
• Skill in coordinating the activities of professional staff personnel.
• Skill in assessing a wide variety of information for operational feasibility.
• Willingness to participate in and/or skill in disseminating information to various official boards, citizen groups, and other City departments.
• Skill in preparing statistical and narrative reports.
• Skill in oral and written communications.
• Ability to think logically.
• Ability to make immediate decisions/responses related to City programs and functions.
• Willingness to assume responsibility for work product and decisions made.
• Willingness to work with individuals from various socio-economic work groups.
• Master’s Degree in urban planning, urban design, architecture, landscape architecture, geography or related field.
• Eight or more years of professional planning experience with emphasis in long range planning and urban design.
• Experience in the development and implementation of comprehensive plans.
• Experience in the development and implementation of Zoning Code regulations.
• Experience in the implementation of urban design principles through development of design guidelines and form based code.
• Experience giving public presentations to citizens, professional organizations, boards and elected officials on comprehensive planning and urban design issues.
• Three or more years’ experience supervising professional, technical, or clerical staff.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
• Primarily indoors in a climate controlled environment.
• Occasional local or out-of-town travel.
• Occasionally required to work hours beyond normal scheduled work week.
• Near vision enough to read a video display terminal and draft communications such as written or machine generated documents, reports, etc.
• Hearing and speech enough to communicate by telephone and in person.
• Manual and finger dexterity enough to operate equipment such as computer keyboards, etc.
The City of Oklahoma City may use the services of HireRight, Inc., a consumer reporting agency, for lawful employment purposes to collect background information about you in connection with your employment or application for employment. HireRight, Inc. provides background reports for The City of Oklahoma City. HireRight can be contacted by mail or phone, 5151 California, Irvine, CA 92617, or 1-800-400-2761. Information about HireRight's privacy practices is available at www.hireright.comIPrivacy-Policy.aspx.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
If you require reasonable accommodation at any time during the hiring process, please notify one of our personnel representatives to make arrangements.
URBAN DESIGN PROGRAM PLANNER
SALARY: $61,011.36 - $93,208.32 Annually
OPENING DATE: 10/08/13
CLOSING DATE: Continuous
APPLICATIONS MAY BE FILED ONLINE AT:
420 West Main Street, STE 110
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Note: Applications with detailed resumes addressing the job requirements and departmental preference will be accepted from October 8, 2013 until the position is filled. Applications/resumes received by October 22, 2013 may receive first consideration.