Senior Urban Planning Designer
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill LLP
New York, NY
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Level||Mid II (4-8 years)|
Associate, Associate Director, Director
The SOM Urban Planning Studio seeks an Urban Designer with 5-7 years of experience, strong design ability and leadership capabilities, who is willing to travel to international locations.
Responsible for various portions of project design development and/or preparation of urban design guidelines as well as working as part of a team on assigned tasks within a project.
• Contributes to general preparation of master planning and site planning documents and models.
• Exhibits understanding of programming, zoning codes, building, open space and urban planning typologies as well as transportation planning.
• Exhibits understanding of design philosophy of projects and relates assigned tasks to that philosophy.
• Performs documentation and presentation work, including diagrams, spreadsheets, scale comparisons and visualizations.
• Checks and coordinates calculations and scales.
• Coordinates work with the project team and consultants.
• Completion of a five-year or six-year architectural degree program and graduate of one-two year urban design/planning program.
• Minimum of 5 years experience in urban design and planning.
• Demonstrated general knowledge of urban design and planning, urban history and theory, planning and environmental law, and private and public development.
All applicants will need to apply online at the SOM Career to requisition #451:
Make sure you complete all fields in all three tabs. When prompted to “complete your resume profile,” you must upload your resume first. The system will attempt to auto-fill some fields in the application. Note that uploading a resume will erase anything you have already entered. After you upload your resume, you should complete any fields in the three tabs that were not auto-filled. When prompted for a cover letter or EEO information, you must choose to either submit or skip.