Park and Trail Design and Development Manager
City of Missoula
|Job at a Glance|
|Job Category||Parks and Recreation Planning|
|Job Level||Mid I (1-4 years)|
Implement, coordinate and manage the design, development and construction of park and trail improvements from master plans through final construction, including site analysis, preparation of concept drawings, master plans, construction documents and materials take-offs; prepare conceptual and detailed cost estimates and project budgets; manage projects and construction; coordinate and manage public involvement processes with various groups on assigned projects; present projects to various groups, citizens, boards and elected officials; provide timely information to citizens.
Negotiate and coordinate projects with developers; conduct and coordinate timely departmental review and comment on subdivisions and land use applications for park and non-motorized trail considerations consistent with the master park plan and active transportation plan; negotiate minor property acquisitions, easements, and donations for park and trail projects; assist in budget planning to fund park and trail projects and maintenance.
Prepare a variety of reports and documents, including grants for park and trail projects, master plans, detailed design and construction documents for park and trail projects using a variety of computer software including MS word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Presentations, AutoCadd, and ArcGIS.
Manage and implement the Non-motorized Transportation Program; serve as staff support to the Transportation Technical Advisory Committee and Non-motorized Transportation Steering Committee on a rotating basis; seek donations and corporate sponsorships; research land ownership; locate and coordinate fund development for professional services; research and compile information on technical standards for non-motorized transportation; develop annual budget for park and trail design and development; assist in planning and implementing non-motorized trail policies; develop park and trail development goals and objectives; serve as lead person for master planning and implementation of park and trail projects; perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Characteristics:
• Knowledge of Missoula Parks Master Plan, Non-motorized and Active Transportation Plans and Missoula Urban Area Open Space Plan;
• Knowledge of park and non-motorized facility design and development standards, principles and practices;
• Knowledge of Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design, and landscape maintenance principles and practices;
• Knowledge of irrigation systems including design principals, standards and materials specifications, calculation of water needs, zone design, efficiency, and application to park facilities, sports fields, trails, and landscape beds;
• Knowledge of project management methods and techniques, including public bidding methods, budgeting and finance, cost tracking, materials specifications, scheduling, subcontracting, general contracting, contract development, change orders, OSHA, safety and liability and related rules, regulations and policies;
• Knowledge of general construction techniques, methods, and tools, such as plans, surveys, and blue prints;
• Knowledge of Montana Code Annotated and Missoula Municipal Code pertaining to Parks and Trails;
• Knowledge of Americans with Disabilities Act and American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials standards;
• Knowledge of federal and state contract administration requirements and local ordinances pertaining to purchasing and contracting;
• Skill in understanding, interpreting and implementing complex laws, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines;
• Skill in managing complex park bicycle and pedestrian transportation projects;
• Skill in using computer software programs including MS Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, and Presentations, as well as AutoCAD® and ArcGIS®;
• Skill in promoting safe work practices and ensuring compliance with City safety policies;
• Skill in designing and developing park and non-motorized trails;
• Skill in negotiating and communicating, in person and in writing;
• Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with elected officials, City employees, outside agencies, businesses, and citizens.
Complete job description and required City application available at City of Missoula Human Resources Dept., 435 Ryman Street, Missoula, MT 59802-4297, (406) 552-6130 or apply on-line at http://www.ci.missoula.mt.us/jobs. Closing Date: 5:00 p.m., Tuesday, November 19, 2013. EEO/AA/ADA Employer. Qualified women, veterans, minority and handicapped individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
|Postal Address||435 Ryman
Missoula, MT 59802