APA Free Student Membership Program
Since 2004, the American Planning Association has provided a free year of membership to more than 20,000 third-year undergraduate and first-year graduate students in PAB-accredited planning programs. Students in planning programs that are full members of ACSP are now eligible for a free year of membership.
What are the benefits to a Free Student Membership in APA?
APA membership opens the world of day-to-day planning challenges and practical solutions. Students will have myriad opportunities to meet and network with practicing planners. They can register for APA's annual National Planning Conference for as little as $25, get special deals on APA publications and division memberships, and much more.
Students in the free membership program receive all the benefits of regular APA membership, plus lots of extras:
- A subscription to the electronic edition of the Journal of the American Planning Association and access to the Journal's online archive going back to 1935
- Student-only discounts on membership in APA's special-interest divisions and on registration for the National Planning Conference, the Federal Policy & Program Briefing, and other educational events
- Opportunities for national leadership on APA's Student Representatives Council
- Reimbursement for most of the registration fee for the National Planning Conference in return for a few hours worked on site
- The opportunity to present capstone presentations or posters at the National Planning Conference
- Eligibility for scholarships, fellowships, outstanding achievement awards, and other honors
- A subscription to The New Planner, an online publication with features, opinions, book reviews, career tips, and campus spotlights
Regular APA membership benefits include:
- A subscription to APA's flagship magazine, Planning, now in print and digital editions
- Membership in a local chapter, with opportunities for networking and interacting with experienced planners close to campus
- APA's member e-newsletter APA Interact, including special issues for student members
- Access to Job Connection and student-centered career services and events at the National Planning Conference
- Member discounts on purchases from APAPlanningBooks.com
Contact your department's APA liaison to find out if you school participates in the Free Student Membership program.
More about the Free Student Member Program
APA Early Career Program
By taking part in the Free Student Member program, you will also be eligible for the Early Career program. Program participants are entitled to reduced rates and enhanced benefits after their free year of student membership is over.
More about the Early Career Program