AICP Candidate Pilot Program
Put Your Career on the Fast Track
Distinguish yourself from your peers through the AICP Candidate Pilot Program. Demonstrate to potential employers a commitment to mastering planning skills and maintaining the highest standard of ethical practice.
- Enroll in the program at any time
- Register for the AICP Certification Exam starting in December or June after you graduate
- Use the payment program for exam fees
- Take the exam prior to earning professional planning experience
- Learn more about mentoring at APA
Realize the Benefits
Paths to AICP
The AICP Candidate Pilot Program provides you with a path to start earlier — the criteria to become AICP are the same.
|Step One: Enrollment Fee||$20|
|Step Two: AICP Candidate Exam Registration Fee||$100|
|Step Three: AICP Certification Application Fee||$375|
|**All fees are non-refundable.|
Step One: Enroll in the AICP Candidate Pilot Program
Qualified APA members may enroll in the program at any time during the year by:
- Submitting education verification documents (graduates submit documents upon enrolling; students submit documentation after graduation);
- Committing to the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct;
- Paying a $20 fee; and
- Beginning to track Certification Maintenance credits — 16 CM credits must be completed and tracked before applying for certification.
APA will verify program enrollment for graduate participants no later than four weeks after an enrollee completes these steps. Accepted enrollees are encouraged to review these exam prep tips. They also may begin earning Certification Maintenance credits and select mentors.
IMPORTANT: Although eligible members may enroll in the AICP Candidate Pilot Program at any time, since graduation is required to register for the exam, when you enroll may affect when you can take the AICP Certification Exam. Members who join the program as graduates must enroll by a deadline set for each exam cycle. Specific dates are posted below.
Requirements for Step Two depend on whether the AICP Candidate Pilot Program participant was a student or a graduate at the time he or she enrolled in the program.
Program participants must graduate to register for the exam. It could take APA up to four weeks to examine graduation verification documents. Participants should refer to the specific deadlines shown below.
Registering for the exam:
- Register for the exam by paying a $100 exam fee in December–April (for the May exam) or in June–October (for the November exam);
- Submit graduation verification documents (if applicable);
- Schedule an exam date with Prometric up to two days before the exam administration window opens; and
- Review additional details about registering for the exam in the AICP Candidate Program Guide.
|November 2019 Exam|
|Enrollment Window||Year-round (deadlines apply for exam registration)|
|Exam Registration Window Opens||June 3, 2019, 9 a.m. (CT)|
|Graduation Documentation Deadline (for participants who enrolled as students and have graduated)||October 1, 2019, 5 p.m. (CT)|
|Program Enrollment Deadline (for graduates)||October 1, 2019, 5 p.m. (CT)|
|Exam Registration Deadline||October 31, 2019, 5 p.m. (CT)|
|Testing Window||November 4–18, 2019|
Step Three: Earn AICP Certification
Program participants who have passed the AICP Certification Exam are eligible to join AICP and use the AICP certification when they have:
- Tracked 16 CM credits, including 1.5 Ethics and 1.5 Law
- Earned the required years of professional planning experience;
- Applied for certification (application windows are open only in June and December):
- Submitted employment verification documents
- Submitted essays demonstrating professional planning experience criteria
- Paid final installment of the exam fee when submitting the application: $375
- Reviewed additional details about the application steps in the AICP Candidate Program Guide
- Received approval of essays (peer review process takes approximately eight weeks after application submission)
- Paid AICP dues
|June 2019 Certification Application Window|
|Application Window Opens||June 3, 2019, 9 a.m. (CT)|
|Early Bird Deadline||June 10, 2019, 5 p.m. (CT)|
|Final Application Deadline||June 27, 2019, 5 p.m. (CT)|
Students and graduates of PAB-accredited programs may enroll in the program.
AICP Candidate Pilot Program participants have five years to earn AICP certification. That period begins when the participant enrolls in the program (Step 1) and ends when their essays are approved, they pay AICP dues, and they join AICP (Step 3). Five years allow sufficient time for participants who begin as students in undergraduate-level PAB programs to complete the program.
Qualified members may enroll in the program at any time during the year.
For complete details, including enrolling in the program, signing up for a mentor, and registering for and taking the AICP Certification Exam, download the AICP Candidate Pilot Program Guide.
If you have additional questions, contact us using our customer service form.