Broad Street / Garnett MARTA Station Area, Atlanta, Georgia
The 2014 AICP Community Planning Workshop focused on community revitalization of the Broad Street corridor, which connects the MARTA Five Points Station and Garnett Street Station in the historic heart of downtown Atlanta.
The goals of the workshop were to identify specific obstacles to implementing the community's vision and establish a realistic set of "first steps" that will spur community confidence and lead to revitalization.
To meet these goals, the workshop covered:
- Strategies to Address Quality of Life Issues (public safety/homeless)
- Pop-Up Community: Tactical Urbanism
- Investments in the Public Realm: Connectivity and Aesthetics
Planner participants learned about the area's past present and future, including:
- The rich history and legacy of this part of downtown, a thriving business center in post-war Atlanta
- The physical and social quality of life issues facing the area
- The visionary plans of Central Atlanta Progress to redevelop the area into a bustling urban center with improved infrastructure, connected green space, and public–private partnerships