September 28, 2022 | 1 – 5 p.m. EDT | Online
2022 APA Policy and Advocacy Conference
Planners Are Breaking the Status Quo
Planners' Day on Capitol Hill is an empowering experience like no other, where APA brings you into the conversation with Members of Congress via our online platform. We'll set up the meetings with your congressional offices and prepare you for the conversation. This is a unique opportunity to bring your community to life for the people representing it on Capitol Hill. We hear every year how helpful Members of Congress find it to hear how policies come to life for their constituents. Movement doesn't happen without planners like you!
We get it. Talking to Members of Congress makes our palms sweat a little, too.
From on-demand training to pre-meeting planning calls, APA has your back as you prepare to advance planners' priorities at online Planners' Day on Capitol Hill.
We are using what we learned from last year's first ever online Planners' Day to fine tune how we support and empower you leading up to and during the big day. Here is what to expect:
- Training when you want it — Pre-recorded trainings with APA public affairs staff and discussions with experienced advocates to watch when you are ready
- Resources for your back pocket — Prepared talking points and digital leave behinds that will have you bringing your A game to the Hill
- A Senate guide — Your assigned team lead will engage you in pre-senate meeting planning to identify the right stories to elevate, at the right moments, in an impactful way.
I'M READY! HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- When registering for the conference, check "yes" for participation in Planners' Day on Capitol Hill. You will need to answer the subsequent questions regarding your address, as this is how we connect you with the correct congressional offices.
- APA will schedule meetings for you with your congressional offices. We are working closely with our partners, Advocacy Associates, to schedule your congressional meetings on September 28 from 1-5 p.m. ET; however, some meetings may fall outside of this window.
Help us accommodate your schedule by sharing with us any existing conflicts you have on September 28–29 when you register for the conference. And in the meantime, hold this block on your calendar to accommodate these meetings.
- Look for pre-conference training opportunities. APA will send out communications ahead of the conference with on-demand trainings to get you up to speed on what issues are currently in play, how you can help move them forward, and the steps to take to have an impactful meeting with legislators and their staff.
- Prepare your local stories. This year's focus is pushing for federal action on zoning reform. Start thinking now about a local story that connects your planning work to the issue at hand. Sometimes this can take a little work. Start putting feelers out in your network if this topic isn't in your wheelhouse. Give some thought to the story angle that will best resonate with your senators and representative.