Strong Towns Event
Thursday, April 20, 2017, 9 a.m.
Thursday, April 20, 2017, 8 p.m. CDT
Eau Claire, WI, United States
This will be a day long event with Chuck Marohn, PE, AICP, sponsored by the West Central Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission.
Strong Towns has three main points for planners:
1. The current path cities are on is not financially stable.
2. The future for most cities is not going to resemble the recent past.
3. The main determinant of future prosperity for cities will be the ability of local leaders to transform their communities.
Strong Towns offers a set of strategies planners can use to get their communities started on the path to local resiliency:
1. Stop. Don’t double down on financially unsustainable growth.
2. Develop a real Capital Improvements Plan.
3. Adopt strategies to increase the public return on investment.
4. Adopt a Form-Based Code throughout high amenity areas.
5. Adopt new road and street standards that maximize value.
6. Prioritize walkability in areas where it creates value.
7. Coordinate investments in parks and public buildings with economic development and value creation strategies.
8. Implement a resilient economic development strategy.
9. Establish a platform for Community Supported Agriculture.
10. Engage your neighbors online and off.
Jason Duba, email@example.com