Planning Supervisor's Playbook: Six-Part Series
Thursday, February 22, 2018, 1 p.m.
Thursday, April 12, 2018, 1 p.m. EDT
CM | 8
L | 1.50
E | 1.50
Assuming a supervisory role or any management position is a career goal many people share. While basic management skills are a necessity, there are unique challenges and situations which only a planner will face and that require special aptitudes. We are mediators, negotiators, problem solvers, counselors, and even referees. Some days we may feel like babysitters or punching bags.
APA is offering a six-part series of web events that provide guidance and useful tools to help you navigate the rough waters of management, from entry-level to director. We’ll also share some common triumphs and pain. We may not have all the answers, but we do know techniques for successful leadership in the planning field that can limit your tears, gray hairs, and sleepless nights.
Why did you want to become a leader? What is your leadership motto? What tools do you need to get the promotion, build your team, and thrive in the position? How do you handle the stress? We hope this web series will inspire and support you in your management adventure.
Overall Series Learning Objectives:
After participating in this webinar series, participants will be able to:
- Apply public speaking skills in public hearings, meetings with elected officials and other development meetings
- Build and implement transitional plans for procedural changes
- Implement methods to assist in managing interdisciplinary teams
- Apply Ethical Principles in Planning and the AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct
- Discuss legal issues and personal liabilities that planning supervisors and directors face
- Identify support and tools to measure success
APA members: $200
Registration includes all six webinars. Individual sessions will be available as on-demand education once the series has ended.
For dates, times, and details of the six webinars in the series, visit the Career Reality Webinars page.
Aimee Nassif, AICP
Matthew Brandmeyer, AICP