Championing Inclusion in the Outdoors
Tuesday, February 26, 2019
noon - 2 p.m. EST
Silver Spring, MD, United States
CM | 1.50You cannot log or evaluate future events.
Join Mikah Meyer who will share details about his journey to visit all 418 national parks while working to be a new type of LGBT role model and to inspire others to live their dreams. Mikah is sought after for projects that focus on bringing cultures together.
Sangita Chari will discuss her role with the National Park Service in the Office of Relevancy, Diversity and Inclusion to shed light on how the agency is working to further these efforts both internally and externally.
- Build more inclusive work environments, and strengthening public park relevance to the public
- Be open to all employees and provide safe spaces for employees to build connections
- Demonstrate an understanding of relationships between diversity, inequality, and social, economic, and political power within parks and recreation
- Demonstrate an understanding of contributions made by individuals from diverse and/or underrepresented groups to our local, national, and global communities
- Critically examine their own attitudes about diverse and/or underrepresented groups
- Consider perspectives of diverse groups to inform reasonable decisions
- Function as members of society and as professionals with people who have ideas, beliefs, attitudes, and behaviors that are different from their own
Melissa Chotiner, Melissa.Chotiner@montgomeryparks.org