Climate Program Manager
City of Olympia
Olympia, WA United States
SALARY: $78,291 - $95,181 Annually
JOB TYPE: Regular/Full-time
OPENING DATE: September 22, 2020
CLOSING DATE: First review 5 pm October 16, 2020
About the Position
The Climate Program Manager provides leadership directing and coordinating implementation of the Thurston Climate Mitigation Plan and energy and sustainability programs across all City departments and the community. This position will concentrate on education and outreach, advancing a legislative agenda, and working with elected officials and regional partners to implement the Climate Mitigation Plan. Develops strategic partnerships to meet the carbon emissions reduction goals of the Climate Mitigation Plan, energy conservation programs, sustainability initiatives and associated education and outreach programs. Serves as a City-wide resource for emissions reduction and sustainability efforts. Responsibilities include program development, implementation and reporting. Uses technical software to model, monitor and evaluate progress towards meeting goals. Serves as staff liaison to both internal and external community partner organizations. Reports on compliance with state and federal laws and regulations.
Ideal Candidate Profile
The ideal candidate will have the following critical attributes:
- Ability to lead multidisciplinary teams and exercise informal influence without having direct supervisory responsibilities
- Ability to see and understand the overall picture and has the attention to detail to move Climate Mitigation Plan forward
- Ability to develop systems to track progress and report the status of the Climate Mitigation Plan to team members, decision makers, partners and the community
- Thorough understanding of climate change and its short- and long-term impacts
- Understanding of comprehensive planning, strategic planning, master planning and program and project management
- A passion for the work that will have an organization-wide, community-wide and global impact
- Understanding that climate change is a social justice issue and brings that lens to the work
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Policy, Environmental Management, Energy Studies or related field; and
- Four (4) years of progressively responsible experience, including program management, in emissions reductions programs, sustainability, climate management or related field.
- Requires knowledge of emission reduction strategies and practices.
- Master’s degree in a related field is preferred.
- Knowledge of common functions and issues in city government is preferred.
- A combination of experience and training that provides the applicant with the knowledge and skills to perform the job will be considered.
- Submit a resume and cover letter by attaching them to your electronic application. www.olympiawa.gov/jobs
- The cover letter must be no more than two pages long and include specific examples of how you meet the Ideal Candidate Profile above.
- This is a continuous recruitment. In order to be considered for the first round of interviews, submit your application by 5 pm October 16, 2020.
- Only electronic applications are accepted.