Community Development Director
Town of Paradise Valley
Paradise Valley, AZ United States
The Town of Paradise Valley is seeking a responsive leader who supports an emphasis on high quality customer service, responsiveness, problem-solving, critical thinking, effective communication and continuous improvement. The successful candidate will sustain a positive and collaborative work environment, effectively modeling the Town’s values in working with staff and community partners. A working director with their own planning workload. Knowledge of building, planning (long and short-range), and engineering desirable. The Community Development Department encompasses Planning, Building and Safety and Code Enforcement. This position reports directly to the Town Manager.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will be highly organized and have exceptional interpersonal and personnel management skills and have the ability to:
- Provide customer focus and facilitate solutions to roadblocks
- Develop, plan and implement the departmental goals and objectives.
- Plan and direct the operations of the Department, including planning, code compliance, building permit and inspection and building plan review.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the effectiveness of programs and procedures to improve services and meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Coordinate department's activities with those of other departments and outside agencies and organizations.
- Develop, and implement the departmental budget.
- Interpret code provisions and draft revisions to the zoning, subdivision, and building codes.
- Inspect building projects as needed to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, policies and approved plans.
- Provide staff assistance to Town Council, Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment and other advisory bodies regarding planning, building and zoning issues, ordinances and policies and code enforcement.
- Perform complex professional planning activities and functions including managing the largest development projects.
- Draft ordinances and policies; write complex staff reports.
- Prepare complex technical reports and presentations for Town Council, Planning Commission, Board of Adjustment and other advisory bodies.
- Confer with engineers, developers, architects, attorneys, property owners, consultants, other agencies and organizations, and the general public in acquiring information and coordinating Department matters, and providing information regarding Town requirements.
- Respond to and resolve citizen inquiries and complaints.
- A professional with the ability to anticipate challenges in advance
- A relationship builder who works well in a team environment and is comfortable working across all areas of the organization and the community
- Has the ability to establish credibility and trust skillfully and quickly among stakeholders
- Embraces the Town’s efforts to provide exceptional customer service for both internal and external customers
- Capable of overseeing multiple projects and effectively translating direction clearly and concisely when delegating to others
Education and Experience
A Bachelor's degree in Urban/Municipal Planning, Public Administration, or closely related area and five years of supervisory/managerial level professional municipal planning experience; or a Master's degree in Urban/Municipal planning or closely related area may substitute for one year of the required experience.
Application and Selection Process
The first review of applications is Monday, October 26, 2020. To be considered, please apply online, upload your resume, cover letter, current and past salary history. Finalists for the position will be required to submit four work-related references. Resume should reflect years of positions held, size of staff and budgets you have managed. Forward your materials to:
Apply online: http://paradisevalleyaz.gov/168/Employment-Opportunities