Flint Hills Regional Council
Manhattan, KS United States
PART-TIME - PROJECT BASED – TEMPORARY POSITION
SALARY: DEPENDING ON QUALIFICATIONS
POSITION GRANT FUNDED - ANTICIPATED NEED ~SIX MONTHS
(Unless additional funding is otherwise made available)
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled.
Bachelors Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Urban Planning, Public Administration, Geography, Business, Economics, or a related field PLUS one (1) year of experience in long-range planning, research methods, or related field required (OR) a Masters Degree in Planning with no experience. Possession of a valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record required.
The Flint Hills Regional Council is seeking a qualified Urban Planner to manage and/or assist with comprehensive planning processes and plan(s) development and other planning initiatives as needed. The position will provide support to the Executive Director including GIS, data collection and analysis, statistics, community outreach, survey development, facilitation of public and Steering Committee meetings, and overall plan development.
Duties of the Planner will include but are not limited to:
- Serve as a project manager in assisting with a comprehensive planning process and plan development with an economic development focus.
- Facilitate steering committee and open public meetings through a planning process to collect input critical to plan development.
- Assist with the development and launch of a community survey, as well as, survey data analysis.
- Coordinate outreach and communication with stakeholders.
- Lead the effort to develop comprehensive plans and recommendations based on both data and stakeholder input.
- Assist with public awareness and coordinating efforts.
- Conduct Geography Information System (GIS) analysis and provide overall GIS support required within the plan.
- Provide critical information such as economic trends, labor data, community profile data, population projections, anticipated community needs, and incorporation of data from other plans that related to the community, etc.
- Host and/or participate in meeting series to continue regular focused discussions.
- Assist with the data collection, analysis, meeting facilitation, development and implementation of planning projects and initiatives. This may include identifying trends or needs and making recommendations.
- Develop progress reports and presentations.
- Provide professional, quality customer service.
- Additional duties as assigned to serve the project needs of the Flint Hills Regional Council.
- Master degree in urban planning or related field, plus one or more years of experience.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated experience in applying the principles and practices of planning.
- Experience and/or Certification in Geographic Information Systems.
- Experience working in rural and small communities.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, to facilitate community meetings, and technical writing experience.
- Understanding of research methods and ability to apply analytical and project management skills.
Conditions of Employment: Previous employment and any additional experience will be subject to verification prior to employment processing. A driver's license and driving record check may be conducted if driving is a job requirement. You will be paid by direct deposit. College transcript may be required as a condition for offer of employment.
The Flint Hills Regional Council affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, disability status or sexual orientation.
Email cover letter and resume to Christy@flinthillsregion.org