Arlington County Government
Arlington, VA United States
How to Apply
The Community Planning, Housing and Development (CPHD) Department is seeking a Zoning Technician to join our Zoning Counter Services team, which provides customer assistance and zoning support activities involving daily interactions with residents, contractors, attorneys, realtors, architects, developers, and others. This position also processes permit requests and building plans to ensure compliance with Arlington County's Zoning Ordinance.
The Zoning Division is responsible for the interpretation, enforcement, and administration of the Zoning Ordinance, as well as providing technical assistance to citizens and the development community.
- Advising customers, contractors, developers, and County staff on the permitting process, zoning-related inquiries, code regulations, and Zoning Ordinance policies;
- Reviewing electronic building plans, alterations to residential and commercial properties, and permits to ensure compliance with regulations and County Zoning Ordinance;
- Scheduling meetings with customers, calculating permit fees based on established fee schedule, and accepting non-cash payments for fees;
- Processing zoning permit requests (Accessory Homestay, Certificate of Occupancy, Fence, Administrative Changes, Comprehensive Sign Plans, Home Occupation and Signs);
- Evaluating County Board and BZA approved conditions (Use Permits, Site Plans, Variances), reviewing historical data, and contacting other county departments or agencies for information;
- Determining if plans require review or further consideration from other planning sections (e.g., historic buildings) or County departments prior to approval;
- Tracking and compiling all department comments related to applications and forwarding to customer;
- Managing data from the permit processing system, preparing reports, documenting permit applications, including preparing documents for scanning, and indexing into electronic database;
- Coordinating with staff from County departments to determine if the project requires review or consideration; and
- Assisting customers with viewing zoning documents and testing new software system (Accela) to support development.
- Associate degree in Urban Planning, Construction Management, Architecture, or related field, and
- Some experience in plan review, zoning administration, building permit review, surveying, or related area.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year for year basis. Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement.
Desirable: Preference will be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Dealing with plats, building plans, site development plans and/or applications for public hearings;
- Explaining building, zoning, or other ordinances to members of the public;
- Sharing information and providing service to the public; and
- Presenting staff reports to a public board, committee, or council.