City Urban Designer
City of West Palm Beach
West Palm Beach, FL United States
How to Apply
As the county seat of Palm Beach County, and one of the fastest growing areas in the country, the City of West Palm Beach offers a dynamic setting where, under general direction, the City Urban Designer serves as the administrator for the Downtown Master Plan and supervises the activities and employees assigned to the Urban Design Section within the City's Development Services Department — Planning Division.
Duties and responsibilities (which are not in any hierarchical order) include:
- Supervises the activities of employees assigned to the design team. Trains employees; writes and conducts evaluations; recommends, prepares, and/or takes disciplinary action. Counsels employees on job performance.
- Assumes administrative control for the budget.
- Coordinates activities with other departments or outside contractors, as required.
- Reviews construction blueprints, drawings, plans and specifications for compliance with building codes and City's overall urban design goals.
- Coordinates with other City employees to have plans reviewed for compliance with fire, zoning and other building codes.
- Consults with engineers, architects, and contractors to interpret and explain building codes and City's urban design plan.
- Organizes and facilitates meetings with developers and community groups to introduce and discuss new development proposals and urban design projects.
- Facilitates resolutions to conflicting views on projects.
- Answers planning, design and zoning questions from citizens, developers, and other agencies.
- Designs and prepares illustrative and graphic presentation materials for public hearings and meetings.
- Designs and prepares illustrative and graphic presentations to provide visual recommendations and/or solutions to a complex set of assumptions related to urban design.
- Retrieves, manipulates, and summarizes information for planning and design reports.
- Researches urban design issues, design guidelines and applicable codes. Prepares reports on findings.
- Consults with City leaders, developers, community groups and others as the technical expert on Urban Design.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
For a complete job description, list of benefits, minimum qualifications and to apply, please visit: https://bit.ly/WPBUrbanDesigner.
Deadline: Open Until Filled.