Engineering Supervisor - Development Review
Charles County Government
La Plata, MD United States
How to Apply
Performs supervisory civil engineering and related work for the County. The work involves the application of civil engineering principles and concepts to infrastructure projects; positions are assigned responsibility for major functional areas within the division.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for supervision of engineering staff, management of specialized engineering work in an assigned functional area.
- Supervises engineering staff: assigns and reviews work, and takes actions to adjust work, staffing and operations to meet requirements. Selects, trains and evaluates staff, and takes appropriate actions to improve performance when necessary. Initiates actions regarding hiring, transfer, promotion, payroll, leave, performance and other personnel actions. Monitor staff functions and initiate appropriate corrective actions as necessary.
- Develops, reviews and evaluates studies, reports, request for proposals, and makes recommendations or takes appropriate actions. Makes recommendations on budget expenditures and policy documents.
- Applies various specialized analysis as appropriate to projects to discern relevant issues and facts and formulate appropriate recommendations.
- Meets with parties involved to discuss and clarify issues and explain requirements; advises and assists parties on how to achieve compliance with applicable rules and regulations.
- Is responsible for consistent performance of staff in interpretation of policy and code. Ensures staff maintenance of project files and records and preparation of related reports including graphic materials, maps and other illustrative materials as necessary.
- Coordinates studies and projects with other division functions and departments as necessary; makes referrals and follows through on actions with agencies as necessary. Serves as final authority in decisions regarding specific project or case management decisions.
- Attends meetings with county staff, consulting engineers, developers, contractors, and public regarding County requirements applicable to projects, and to discuss and resolve problems and issues arising during the process.
- Develops policy and procedure for the division, provides policy direction to staff, and develops and manages project budget.
- Responds to inquiries from public, developers, engineers, and contractors regarding procedures and compliance issues. Represents the County on a regional or state-wide basis and makes presentations before the various boards and commissions.
- Performs field visits and site inspections when necessary.
- Serves on boards, committees and work groups as assigned and provides technical support and assistance as needed.
- Assists in formulating and implementing engineering design and construction projects or policies.
- May manage, implement, and update various applicable ordinances, specifications, and details.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering; Master's degree in a related field preferred.
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible engineering experience.
Licenses or Certificates:
- Valid driver's license.
- Professional Engineer License.
- This position is required to receive climate competency training level 2.
Knowledges, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of the principles, concepts and techniques of engineering as applied to the area of assignment.
- Knowledge of effective techniques of supervision.
- Ability to monitor, manage and supervise the work of an assigned functional area within the engineering division.
- Ability to perform technically sound engineering and related studies and formulate appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to interpret and apply applicable ordinances, rules, regulations, standard specifications and details to varied engineering and related situations.
- Ability to develop and interpret engineering design and construction policies.
- Ability to develop and manage a functional or project budget.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare related reports and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, including public presentations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others encountered in the work including internal and external customers.