San Diego, California | April 30–May 3, 2022
Online | May 18–20, 2022
NPC22 will be a unique conference experience, with options and experiences to meet everyone's passions, schedule, and budget. The San Diego experience will bring the planning community together in person for the first time in three years to share ideas, experience new ways of learning, and get energized. During the online event, planners from all around the world will connect virtually and learn from experts and their peers — with just a dash of San Diego flavor thrown in.
Frequently Asked Questions
We've pulled together some commonly asked questions to help make your conference experience a breeze.
Will NPC22 be an in-person conference in San Diego or is it online?
NPC22 includes two separate, unique events:
- An in-person conference in San Diego April 30–May 3, 2022
- An online conference May 18–20, 2022
San Diego Information
Where is the in-person conference being held?
NPC22 in San Diego will be held at the San Diego Convention Center.
If I am attending NPC22 in San Diego, how will I receive my badge packet?
You may pick up your badge onsite at registration. As part of our efforts to decrease our carbon footprint, we will not be mailing out badge packets ahead of conference. You will receive an email with a personalized QR code that you will use to print your conference badge and tickets at the convention center. When you arrive on site, proceed to the registration area in The Hub in Hall A of the convention center, and scan your QR code or enter your name at one of the check-in kiosks. Please allow plenty of time to pick up your badge; you will not be able to access any in-person events without your conference badge.
What is the conference COVID-19 policy for those attending the San Diego event?
For the health and safety of attendees, staff, vendors, and the public, APA has established a conference COVID-19 vaccination and masking policy that will remain in place regardless of local, state, or federal guidelines. Attendees who register for the NPC22 All In pass agree to abide by the COVID-19 policy at the time of registration. Visit the COVID-19 Conference Policy page for the most up-to-date information.
Is there an NPC22 mobile app?
Yes, there is a moble app for the NPC22 San Diego event, which is available to download free for iOS and Android devices. Search for "APA National Events" or use these direct links: Google Play and App Store.
The app contains the full conference program, maps, and other event information. You can also favorite sessions to create your own personalized schedule, log CM credits, connect with other attendees, participate in session polling, and more.
Note: We recommend each morning during the conference that you refresh the app to make sure you have the most up to date location and schedule information. To refresh the app data:
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right corner of the app
- Tap Refresh Schedule
How do I book a hotel for NPC22 in San Diego?
APA has arranged discounted rates at several hotels in San Diego. The availability of rooms may change rapidly, so please book early and visit the hotel and travel page for the most up-to-date information.
Where can I find information on San Diego? For information on things to do in San Diego, visit sandiego.org.
The NPC22 Destination Host Team has put together a city guide tailor-made for conference attendees that will explore the area offering suggestions for sightseeing, local beaches, dining and so much more.
What should I pack for conference?
- Business cards. You'll meet lots of people — have cards on hand to help them remember you!
- Resumes. Your next career move could be waiting for you at NPC22. Take resumes even if you don't think you're job hunting.
- Phone, laptop, tablet. Free wifi will be available. Use your mobile device(s) to use the app, stay connected, take notes, tweet about #NPC22, and more. Remember your chargers, too!
- Business-casual attire suitable for warm weather outdoors, and cooler meeting rooms and evenings. Don't forget your hat and sunscreen!
- Comfortable shoes — you'll do a lot of walking. Also, if you're planning to attend mobile workshops, read the event descriptions and consider the mode of transportation for that activity.
- Masks and vaccination documentation. Be sure to bring a mask if you will be attending any mobile workshops or orientations tours, or you will be taking public transportation and ride share. The federal mandate for masking on transportation is still in place. Do bring your vaccination card or a legible photo of your card along with your photo ID.
How can I request accessibility services at NPC22 in San Diego?
Please email APA meetings staff at email@example.com for any accessibility requests.
Will there be space for nursing parents?
There is a nursing room located on the first floor, and two additional rooms — 18 and 19 — on the mezzanine level of the San Diego Convention Center. There will be refrigeration available in each room.
San Diego Convention Center Maps
Marriott Marquis San Diego Maps
Where can I learn more about the NPC22 program?
The NPC22 program has been carefully curated to offer compelling content and opportunities for connection, including sessions, mobile workshops, and other events to enrich your experience. View the program online to learn more about both the San Diego and online experiences.
What does a learning level assignment of Foundational, Intermediate or Advanced mean?
Foundational (Fundamental Knowledge):
Sessions designed to introduce attendees to technologies, concepts, and specialized skills for the first time by providing a fundamental base of knowledge. The content is focused on concepts and how they can be applied to practice. Foundational sessions may also be related to an emerging area of knowledge or practice and/or general subject knowledge.
Intermediate (Applied Knowledge):
Programming at the intermediate level is designed to go beyond fundamental knowledge and includes more depth to teach proficiency in the application of technologies, concepts, or enhanced skills. Intermediate programming is designed to provide competence in application and understanding of the limitations of concepts leading to the integration of enhanced skills. This programming could also serve as a refresher course for attendees who have a background in the content area and are interested in learning more contemporary applications.
Advanced (Mastery Knowledge):
Programming at the advanced level is designed to build upon established experiences, knowledge, and skills. The content includes more diverse and novel applications of the concepts and enhanced usage. Advanced level programming is designed to refine attendee knowledge and skills to effectively utilize across challenging situations. Advanced level programming is more specialized in nature and allows the attendee to integrate and enhance their knowledge and skills to magnify improved application techniques and concepts. Content at this level involves challenging scenarios with practical ideas, solutions and process improvements related to the competency area.
How do I sign up for ticketed activities like mobile workshops and orientation tours?
You may add ticketed activities to your purchase at the time of registration.
If you are already registered and would like to add ticketed activities to your registration, follow the instructions below:
- Log in using the same login you used to purchase your NPC22 registration.
- In the left hand navigation select Mobile Workshops, Orientation Tours or Special Events.
- Review the description of each off-site event offered.
- Click the button below the description that reads Purchase Ticket.
- Review the event description and click Add to Cart.
- If you would like to purchase tickets for additional events, return to the program and repeat these steps to find, select, and add them to your cart.
- Complete the checkout process to purchase the tickets.
You must purchase a ticket for each experience to be registered for that specific tour, workshop, or ticketed event.
How does the waitlist for ticketed events work?
If a requested activity is currently sold out, a prompt for adding yourself to the waitlist will be presented.
- Add your name to the list if you would like to be added to the waitlist.
- You are only able to add yourself once to this list.
- You will not be charged to add your name.
- Your names are kept in the order they are received.
- The spaces for the sold out activity will be offered in this order.
- For Mobile Workshops and Orientation Tours, there will be paper onsite waitlists offered as well.
- You will be able to purchase tickets for Mobile Workshops and Orientation Tours at the departure area.
- The onsite waitlists will be called after the digital waitlist has been exhausted.
- NOTE: Your name on a waitlist does not guarantee you a spot on the tour or workshops.
Will awards be presented at NPC22?
In 2022, we will honor our National Planning Award recipients throughout the year to expand the audience beyond those who will be joining us "all in" in San Diego. Individual award programs such as individual division award recognition may still be taking place at NPC22, and we recommend confirming with the respective division.
What is included in registration?
There are two registration options: NPC22 All In and NPC22 Online.
NPC22 All In
Registration rates: Members $835 | Student Members $135 | Non-Members $1275
- In-person sessions, networking events, exhibit hall, and other conference experiences
- All live online sessions, networking opportunities, and other online conference activities
Registration rates: Members $400 | Student Members $75 | Non-Members $450
- All live online sessions, networking opportunities, and other online conference activities
Does registration include access to conference recordings?
The NPC22 All In registration and the NPC22 Online registration offer access to the live in-person and live online events only. For unlimited access to recordings from both events for one year, plus hundreds of other on-demand and live online learning opportunities, you may sign up for Passport, APA's learning subscription. Only select sessions from the San Diego event will be recorded; these are marked by a Passport icon in the program.
I have a credit from NPC20 — Can I use it for NPC22?
Yes! Your NPC20 credit can be used for NPC22 registration. Your NPC20 credit can also be used on other items including membership dues or renewals, APA Learn courses, and more. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to apply your credit.
I bought NPC22 Online and now I want to upgrade to NPC22 All In. How do I upgrade?
We're happy to help you upgrade your pass. Just reach out to us at email@example.com and we will assist you.
What is the cancellation policy for NPC22?
A full refund can be requested until April 8. Cancellations will be charged a $25 administrative fee. Please send a written cancellation request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I'm a member of the media. How can I get a complimentary media pass?
APA provides a limited number of complimentary media registrations to the National Planning Conference. To apply for a complimentary media registration, please email Roberta Rewers at email@example.com.
Sponsorships and Exhibiting
I'm interested in sponsoring/exhibiting at NPC22.
Partner with the American Planning Association as a sponsor or exhibitor for NPC22 in San Diego, NPC22 Online, or both! Please contact Hallie Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-367-1229 for further details.
I need AICP Certification Maintenance credits (CM). Will I have the opportunity to earn CM at the conference?
AICP members will have the option to earn CM credits during NPC22. We will offer general CM and Law, Ethics, Equity, and Sustainability and Resilience credits during the conference. The conference program lists CM credit availability for each eligible session.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Send us an email with your question to email@example.com. Additional FAQs will be added regularly.