Outside the U.S.
APA: Your Global Planning Community
APA offers opportunities for anyone, anywhere with a commitment to planning. We connect nearly 40,000 people from more than 90 countries who share your interests and can help shape your future. They include planners, individuals who work in allied professions, engaged citizens, government officials, students, and scholars.
No other organization in the world-wide planning practice provides the quantity and quality of information, continuing education, and peers as APA. Joining APA provides you with the most opportunities to elevate the practice, communities, and your career.
APA is an independent, nonprofit organization championing public engagement, promoting high ethical standards, conducting and publishing research, and advocating for good planning — in social, economic, and physical aspects of communities around the world.
- Expand your network. Engage with planners from your local area and from disciplines you care about: discuss experiences, solve challenges, and possibly land your next job!
- Connect with specialists. Join one or more of APA’s 21 divisions — communities of professionals who share your interests — at a discounted rate. Divisions offer online education and forums, publications, and specialized sessions at the annual National Planning Conference held in a major U.S. city.
- Get AICP certified. Only as an APA member can you earn certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners. Successful candidates are APA members who meet the Institute’s requirements for education and experience and pass a comprehensive planning examination.
- Keep up with planning. All members receive Planning magazine, unlimited access to current and archived publications from APA's Planning Advisory Service, and Interact — your best sources for news on contemporary planning practices. Get early access to new research and innovative practices.
- Save on publications. Members enjoy discounts on resources through the APA Store and a lower subscription rate to the Journal of the American Planning Association — the planning profession’s journal of record since 1935.
- Update your skills. Take advantage of the advanced training APA offers — delivered in-person and online — at the reduced member rate.
Not a Planner?
APA membership is open to everyone who is committed to applying the benefits of planning to create communities of lasting value.
- Learn more if you’re a planning or zoning board member or commissioner, or an elected or appointed official
- Learn more if you’re an educator
- Learn more if you’re a professional planner
- Learn more if you’re a full-time student
- Learn more if you work in an affiliated profession, or you are an interested nonplanner