Suggest a Great Place in America
Thank you for your suggestions!
This year's open call for Great Places in America suggestions has closed. Stay tuned for the official 2017 announcement during National Community Planning Month in October!
Make a Suggestion
Watch the video to learn how to make a suggestion in 4 easy steps:
1. Review the Great Places Designation List, which includes all designations to date by state, city, category, and year. Check this list to make sure your suggested places have not been previously designated.
2. Click on the links at left to read the characteristics of Great Neighborhoods, Great Streets, and Great Public Spaces to see what APA considers when evaluating suggestions. Reviewing summaries and photos of past designations is also useful.
4. Complete the form and e-mail it to email@example.com.
What Makes a Place Great?
We all can think of a neighborhood, street, or public place that is unique or memorable, but what makes it special?
What elements combine to produce a place that not only works for people in the community but rises far above the ordinary?
APA's selection guidelines will be considered in addition to other important factors such as geography, population, demographics, planning involvement, sustainable building, and setting (urban, suburban, rural).
Consider these guidelines not as a checklist of "must-haves," but rather as important principles from which decisions about designated Great Places will be made.
What Happens to Submitted Suggestions?
APA reviews all suggestions.
For those that are received — and in APA's opinion merit further study — we will request digital images and any necessary additional information.
Suggestions of interest may be considered for possible designation.
Please do not include digital images with your one-page suggestion form. You will be contacted if APA wants to receive images and more information.
Each October, APA will:
- Announce the Great Neighborhoods, Great Streets, and Great Public Spaces
- Issue news releases nationally and locally about the designations
- Present each designated Great Place with a certificate
- Coordinate attendance of APA representatives at local designation ceremonies in communities choosing to hold such events throughout the month of October
Direct questions or concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.