Join as a Student
Kickstart Your Planning Career With APA — For Free!
It's easier and more affordable than ever for students and new planners to get started in APA. In fact, membership is now free for any student actively enrolled or matriculated in any university or college degree program. It remains free for the duration of an individual's studies. "Free" includes APA, APA chapter, and AICP membership as well as membership in up to five APA divisions. Student members will be eligible for two years of reduced dues after ending their studies.
With free membership and lots of benefits, the American Planning Association is where you belong!
Why Belong to APA?
- Career Services. Attend Career Reality Webinars and get expert strategies, tactics, and tips at APA's Career Center. Help prospective employers find and hire you by completing your My APA Profile.
- Information. APA resources open windows into today's planning practice. Student members get free online subscriptions to Planning, the Journal of the American Planning Association, and Zoning Practice as well as all current and archived Planning Advisory Service publications. Access APA's Research KnowledgeBase.
- Connections. Network with fellow students, practicing planners, and professionals in related fields. Find a mentor. Connect with local planners and leaders in your chapter. Join others who share your planning passion in an APA division. Meet planners from all over the world at the National Planning Conference.
- Recognition. Earn APA, APA chapter, or division honors.
- Leadership. Build your reputation as a volunteer leader. Get elected to the Student Representatives Council.
- Out-of-classroom learning. Learn the latest at the National Planning Conference and other in-person and online events.
- Promote planning. Your membership will strengthen APA's advocacy for good planning and essential programs. On a personal level, APA's communication tools, training, organization, and access will help you become an effective advocate able to craft and deliver positive messages about planning to key audiences.
Not a Student?
APA membership is open to everyone who is committed to applying the benefits of planning to create communities of lasting value.
- Learn more if you're a planning or zoning board member or commissioner or an elected or appointed official
- Learn more if you're a practicing planner
- Learn more if you live outside the United States
- Learn more if you're an educator
- Learn more if you work in an affiliated profession or you are an interested nonplanner