APA Membership. Always Good. Now Even Better.
APA is about to offer an incredible deal! Beginning in July, new members* can join APA for $95 a year, for two years. That's as much as 84 percent lower than current rates.
* For first-time individual memberships and graduating student members only. Excludes international and group membership programs.
You Serve Communities. APA Serves You.
APA is the essential membership association for planners. No other organization in the planning practice provides the quantity and quality of information, continuing education, and peers that APA does. Joining APA provides you with the most opportunities to elevate the practice, communities, and your career.
- Expand your network. We bring together nearly 40,000 people from every state and more than 90 countries who share your passions and can help shape your future. Engage with planners from your local area and from disciplines you care about: discuss experiences, solve challenges, and possibly land your next job!
- Connect with specialists. Join one or more of APA's 21 divisions — communities of professionals who share your interests — at a discounted rate. Divisions offer online education and forums, publications, and specialized sessions at the annual National Planning Conference, as well as contribute to national policy work.
- Connect locally. Join one of 47 chapters — the local source for networking and professional development — and connect with the area planning community through the chapter's annual conference, education and advocacy programs, and public information campaigns.
- Get AICP certified. Only as an APA member can you earn certification by the American Institute of Certified Planners. AICP offers the only national, independent verification of planners' qualifications. Take your planning to the next level.
- Keep up with planning. All members receive Planning magazine, unlimited access to current and archived PAS publications, Interact, and the APA blog — your best sources for news on contemporary planning practices. Get early access to new research and innovative practices.
- Advance your career. APA career services can help you perform at your best and craft the career you want.
- Save on publications. Members enjoy discounts on resources through the APA Store and a lower subscription rate to the Journal of the American Planning Association — the planning profession's journal of record since 1935.
- Update your skills. Get mentoring, guidance, and training at all stages of your professional life through APA's top-notch professional education — delivered in-person and online.
- Promote planning. Your membership will strengthen APA's advocacy for good planning and essential programs. On a personal level, APA's communication tools, training, organization, and access will help you become an effective advocate able to craft and deliver positive messages about planning to key audiences.
Ask your employer to support your professional development by paying for your APA membership. Use our talking points to reinforce your request.
Not a Planner?
APA membership is open to everyone who is committed to applying the benefits of planning to create communities of lasting value.
- Learn more if you're a planning or zoning board member or commissioner, or an elected or appointed official.
- Learn more if you're an educator.
- Learn more if you live outside the United States.
- Learn more if you're a full-time student.
- Learn more if you work in an affiliated profession, or you are an interested nonplanner.
Other Ways to Participate
If you're interested in the field of planning but not in APA membership, consider:
- Subscribing to Planning. It's a great way to keep up with important planning issues and innovative practices.
- Donating to the Planning Foundation of APA to support student academic and travel scholarships, community assistance programs, special research projects, and more. The Foundation is an independent 501(c)(3) subsidiary of APA and contributions are tax-deductible.